Wednesday, December 12, 2007

English Language Learners

From my experience here in western South Dakota I must admit I have come in contact with very few people who are English Language Learners. However, it was not always that way. Having gone to college and studenting teaching in the Twin Cities I had 5 different native languages spoken in my classroom alone. So the article Asking the Right Questions is a great reminder for districts to begin implementation of ELL training for all teachers. It also offers teachers a great tool for including ELL students in classroom discussion. I also believe the insights on including ELL students in classroom discussion can work with our special education students or even those who are simply shy. It's easy for educators to default to those students who always answer but pulling in those who keep quiet is essential for their learning.

No comments: